Marathons, Margaritas, and My Hopeful Comeback

Last year, during this weekend, I ran my second (and so far best) Marathon in Providence. 
We had some of the best marathon-running weather imaginable - 40s, clear and cool. A bit different from the hot desert conditions of my first

Flat Michelle, ready to rock
Excited Pre-Race face
After a relatively elaborate Italian dinner in downtown Providence the night before and an okay night's sleep, I was ready to race this thing for real and finish with a smile on my face.

Photoshoot at the Start line
ISO 400, 18mm, 1/1250, f/3.5

ISO 400, 200mm, 1/800, f/6.3

The best part of this marathon was the family and friend support I had along the way. My parents came up with my brother and drove around with J to see me at several spots before the finish - 
miles 8, 14, 19, & 21. 

Still goofy and happy at mile 8
ISO 400, 105mm, 1/6000, f/5.6

The fam as my personal pit crew
ISO 400, 18mm, 1/4000, f/3.5
Somewhere around mile 14 and the golf course. Embarrassing arm pumps = side effect of marathoning
ISO 400, 22mm, 1/4000, f/3.5
Chipmunk smile for the professional photographer 
Plus, my coach and another friend came to do their long ride there so they could see me at the end. 
I had definitely underestimated the power of having people along the way. Even if it was for just a moment each time, the rest of the miles flew by as I kept up the chant, reminding myself of the people who were waiting for me. 

yeah yeah, I run a little knock-kneed, I know

Not pictured: tears of joy as I saw the finish line 
 I won't lie and say it was easy every moment. J had warned my parents that they would see a bouncy, happy Michelle at mile 8, but by mile 19 I may look a little..haggard...and they shouldn't be concerned.

In fact, around mile 21 they surprised me at a stop I wasn't anticipating....so much so that I had run straight into the port-o-potty without seeing them calling my name from one foot away. When I got out I almost jumped a mile (would've been nice if I had jumped that far 😝) when I saw my stepdad right outside. Luckily, there's no shame in the marathon, only lots of sweating, swearing, and hopefully smiling.

Gun time 4:17 but actual finish time 4:16:27 - shaved 22 minutes off my first marathon! 

 But before I knew it, I was at the finish line 💚 and ready to celebrate!


He's basically holding me up right now
ISO 400, 18mm, 1/4000, f/3.5

Also basically holding me up
ISO 400, 18mm, 1/3200, f/3.5
What I was actually like afterwards 
Post race tradition - MARGARITAS!! And Mexican food 
This year, I lay here writing this with my leg in a boot, not having run since December. Hopefully, with time and patience and a lot of rehab, I'll be running marathon # 3 in DC. Between now and then, I've signed up for only one other race - the Falmouth Road Race. I've signed on to run for the charity Back on My Feet, an organization that combats homelessness through the power of running, community support, essential employment, and housing resources. More importantly, I'm raising money for them here. Nothing more fitting for me to be raising money for Back on My Feet while I get back on my feet..literally. 


Comments

Popular Posts