Bethany Blues 2018: Firecrackers and Cycling

The very first year I joined J and his family in their annual trip to Bethany Beach, we raced the Firecracker 5K for the first time. Every year for the last seven years we've talked about doing it again, but every year since it's either been on the wrong weekend or been cancelled. As fate would have it, this year the race was scheduled for the weekend we were all there. As fate would also have it, despite embracing running in the intervening years between this one and my first Firecracker 5k (my recollection of that race was that it seemed far longer than 3 miles and there were many walking breaks for me), I was still injured and not yet running (outside of the pool) and had to sit this one out.
ƒ/41/160017mmISO100
Our Runners
 I brought along my cowbell and camera and decided to get fully into the spirit. J had a pretty big time goal (spoiler in case you want to stop reading: he hit it!)

ƒ/41/100017mmISO100
Finishing in 19:31
The beauty of spectating the 5k is how quickly the time goes. This race was set up in a loop, with side streets crossing at every block, so I easily saw the fam in multiple locations. 

ƒ/41/80035mmISO100
Heyyy gurl

ƒ/41/40035mmISO100
Teenagers can't keep up with RJ

ƒ/41/40035mmISO100
Those short-shorts though 

ƒ/41/64035mmISO100
Looking good ladies 😜
We even had some child runners this year. 

ƒ/41/80030mmISO100
Noah looks like a pro finishing his first race
And we had some winners. Two of the three AG winners for the 70+ group, in fact. 

ƒ/41/200017mmISO100
Over 70 ? Are you sure? 
ƒ/41/40017mmISO100
A little tired, honey? 
As always, there were other athletic pursuits.
ƒ/2.81/500200mmISO100
Agassi lines up*
*yes, I know my tennis reference is dated 

ƒ/2.81/1250200mmISO100
She put a lot of thought into this outfit 

ƒ/3.21/40030mmISO100
I wish I could say he was smiling at me but it was a kite that had his attention 
We added beach bootcamp and beach yoga to the activities list. If there's one thing I learned, it's that adding an unstable surface like sand to the workout equation makes everything infinitely harder. Ever done up/down plank on the beach?
ƒ/41/160017mmISO100
Sand for dayz
The biggest exercise highlight (besides the 5k) has always been 10k Tuesday, a creation a few years ago whose origin I'm not aware of, besides the family runners wanting to enjoy some group run time.

This year, I brought my new road bike so I could still join in on my own. 10k turned into 9 sweaty miles for me, plus one unfortunate fall off my bike (first and hopefully last). Nothing too dramatic, just a slow, clumsy tip over when I wasn't balanced properly while stopped at a light and couldn't get my injured ankle out of my clips in time as I tumbled over. Most of the bruises afterwards were emotional, although my ankle was pretty angry at me for awhile and I was nervous I made it worse. (Now that I'm running again I can safely say it's fine).

(Taken with Amy's Phone)
Yes, I DID wear my kit thankyouverymuch

Why is it that a week can feel so short when you're at the beach? 

ƒ/2.41/1946mmISO16
all about dat portrait mode on the iPhone 

ƒ/41/80017mmISO100
"Why are you taking pictures of me?"

ƒ/6.31/12518mmISO100
Goofballs...and creepy Exorcist Noah

ƒ/2.81/32017mmISO100
Serenity Now
Until next year, Bethany. Let's plan that Firecracker around our trip please, I have some unfinished business. 

Comments

Popular Posts