Cat Photography...It's a Thing

I don't think anyone who knows me would dispute that I'm a crazy cat lady. (Maybe the crazy part...maybe not). This has come out even more obviously since I got my camera. I have no better constant subjects to photograph than my babies, Ender and Valentine.

Photographing cats is no easy business, mind you. They aren't exactly interested in sitting still and staring at the camera. And of course, they are never cuter than when they are bouncing around the house.

In that vein, I've learned a few things about cat photography over the last few months.

1. Shoot them from below or at least eye level. The photos will be much more interesting if you do. (Technically, I also read this "rule" but I was actually already doing it when I did...so...there.)

f/5.6, 1/60th, ISO-400, 35mm
Ender says, "don't mess with my kitten"
His blurry face filling up the screen makes him feel like the center of the shot, even though it's Valentine whose in focus.



f/4.5, 1/60th, ISO-800, 26mm
I know, I know, you've seen this one already. 


2. Keep that shutter speed fast and shoot in continuous mode, if possible. Those kittens move fast! (Especially when attacking mice on the iPad)

f/5, 1/25th, ISO-3200, 30mm
My little girl loves her iPad. By "her" I mean "my".


3. Bring toys and props to use to get them in the frame doing their adorable cat business.

f/5, 1/60th, ISO-800, 30mm
I had J holding a toy above her head for this one. See? Props. 
4. Have your own lighting ready to move with them.
f/5.6, 1/25th, ISO-100, -.3 step, 50mm
This is a very early shot of mine that came out interesting almost accidentally. Interestingly, I hadn't changed the ISO, which would have been helpful in such a lowlight situation. I did underexpose it a little, and I'm not really sure how that happened since I hadn't learned how to do that yet. I probably accidentally did it while trying to up the ISO. I'd love to recreate this some time (the light source is a flashlight that I was bouncing on her while she clawed at my from the side of the bed).

5. Always have your camera ready...you never know when a cute moment will happen.

f/5, 1/20th, ISO-100, -.3 step, 30mm
One thing I've learned with my camera is that once you use the under or over exposure button, it will stay on that setting every time you turn back on the camera until you change it back to 0 yourself. That appears to have happened here. Luckily it didn't interfere with my shot of serene Ender.

f/5.6, 1/4th, ISO 400, 24mm
My new desktop background.






I have such adorable fur babies :) 

Comments

Popular Posts