You Light Up My Life

Emily sent me an article on Joy the Baker about photography. Not what you would normally expect on a food blog, but it makes sense - in order to market her food, she needs to be able to photograph it well (or know someone who can do it for her)

I took this advice from her website. It felt like something I'd already played around with a little without thinking - trying to find interesting shadows. I've never been scared to look straight into the sun with my camera, even if that isn't always the best idea. 
http://joythebaker.com/2013/05/solo-bike-adventure/  <--- blog post in question

For months (since Joy's blog post) I've been collecting photos that focus on shadow, silhouettes, and light v. dark. I think it's time to stop collecting and start posting!

f/5.6, 1/1250th, ISO-100, 18mm
Taken at Bethany Beach this summer

f/5.6, 1/500th, ISO-100, 60mm
The shadow is a little too centered in the frame but I like the shape. 
f/4.5, 1/1250th, ISO-100, 24mm
Fenway Park in July

f/5.6, 1/4000th, ISO-400, 18mm
St. Martin. Playing with the fun settings and caught my own shadow. 
f/4, 1/1000th, ISO-100, 22mm
A little more Fenway. Congrats to the Red Sox on the World Series win! 
f/3.5, 1/2000th, ISO-100, 18mm
Taken more recently, in New Hampshire. I love the reflection of the sun. 

f/3.5, 1/2000th, ISO-800, 50mm
Sometimes a half shaded face can look strange but there's just enough light on all areas to make the shadow parts not too dark and heavy. 

f/1.8, 1/2500th, ISO-200, -3 exposure, 50mm
Twilight
Big Rock's face is in shadow but there's still plenty of light. 
I'm working on editing my fall foliage pictures into a blog, but in the meantime I have some portraits and maybe another photo project blog in the works. Happy November! 

Comments

Popular Posts