Let the games begin!

After our trip, I decided to get a few new "toys" to spice up my camera.

Nothing super expensive-o, mind you, but a few little accessories to play around with.

The first is called a macro extension tube. Instead of cashing out the big bucks for a new lens that takes extremely close photos, I just add this tube to my current lens and voila! Here is what I mean:

f/0, 1/10th, ISO 1600, 0 mm
Actual item photographed here: my comforter

f/0, 1/10th, ISO 1600, 0 mm
Actual item being photographed: my cell phone cover. 


I also got some filters for my lens. A polarizer, a UV filter, and a star filter. A what, a who, and a where? (that's what I was thinking when I first read about them, a whole three days before I bought them).

The polarizer is for sunny days, to reduce the reflections off of mirrors, windows, and water, and darken the sky a little. The UV filter protects my lens from UV rays. And the star filter...ahh the star filter. Almost completely useless, and yet the only one that produces a really obvious change from picture to picture.

f/5, 1/30th, ISO 800, 30mm
Created with the four point star filter
Then, just this week, I purchased the final addition I've been craving - an external flash!

Here she is:


Last weekend I actually took the tube out and got some useful shots with it. Here's my favorite flower shot of the afternoon:

f/0, 1/320th, ISO 100, 0mm
Taken outside at Great Falls Park in Virginia
Flower pictures are actually a little more interesting than you might think (and by you I mean me, because I really didn't expect to take any enjoyment from close up flower shots). I recently made an impulse buy at BJs - a salvia may night plant. Of course, I have to keep it just outside the window so that cats don't eat it (ask me what happened to my polka dot plant last year...), but now at least I have something living I can photograph when I'm feeling the Macro vibes.

A Salvia May Night, for those who don't feel like doing their own googling (not my picture, I haven't taken any yet because I'm waiting for it to really bloom):

Image: Source
Come back in May, I promise to have some shots of my new plant :-)

Comments

Popular Posts